As if we really needed more sunshine in our lives.
Not to be boring/cliche/totally inane. But this whole Florida-weather-in-New-York thing? Totally over it.
Sometimes I go outside and it’s so humid that I can’t even tell whether it’s raining or not. Except for the sun. Beaming. Unapologetically.
Either that or you’ll go from torrential downpour on one side of the street to bright blue skies on the other.
What am I even supposed to do with that?
My point being that these cookies taste a little bit like sunshine to me. Of the chewy variety. And if you feel that you have over-saturated your sun quota for the day just by thinking about going outside, I totally get you.
But if you have even a smidgen of sun tolerance left in you, I implore you to make these. They come together so fast, don’t require even a single ounce of chilling, and are just so lemony chewy delicious that they’ll make your heart melt. Right along with your non-heatproof eyeliner. So that’s good.
The.Boy claimed that they were identical to the lemon rosemary shortbread I made a few weeks ago and when I tried to explain to him that those were crispy and these were, well, the opposite, he had no idea what I was talking about. Exasperating.
One similarity the two cookies do have is that I made them both for The Leftovers Club, which is this crazy fun blogger event whereby bloggers are paired up and send each other some of the “leftover” goodies that they don’t want to be stuck eating for a week on end. This month, I was paired with Colleen of Souffle Bombay who I had the pleasure of meeting at Eat.Write.Retreat this year! When she told me she loved lemony treats, these cookies immediately came to mind as I had pinned them ages ago and still hadn’t gotten around to making them. In return, she sent me S’mores in a Jar which I am thrilled about because we are big s’mores fans around here. To see what everyone made and exchanged, check out the links below the recipe!
One year ago…Pasta with Garlic Scapes Pesto, Sugar Snap Peas and Ricotta
Two years ago…Wheat Berry Salad with Zucchini and Mozzarella
Three years ago…Strawberry Shortcake Cake
Four years ago…Chocolate Agave Cake with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
Bright and sunny lemon sugar cookies.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Heat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in the vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the salt, baking soda, baking powder, and flour. Pour into the rest of the batter and stir until just combined.
- Scoop cookie dough onto baking sheets in about 2 tsp rounds, leaving about 1 inch in-between cookies.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 3 minutes before moving to a wire rack.
adapted from Let's Dish