If thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies are your thing, then you’ll love these smoked sea salt, pistachio and chocolate chip cookies! The smoked sea salt and pistachios are a fun addition to make them a little extra fancy.
We could debate the pros and cons of thick and chewiness for many many things in life,
but cookies are not one of them.
And that is absolutely positively because there is no argument here.
The thicker and chewier, the better, especially when it comes to chocolate chip cookies.
So then the great dilemma in life is not the debate of crispy v. chewy, but really just involves trying to find the biggest, best, thickest, chewiest cookie recipe out there.
Lay your weary heads to rest, guys.
I’VE. FOUND. IT.
No surprise, it comes by way of the genius of Milk Bar’s Christina Tosi, but unlike most of her other recipes, it is the epitome of uncomplication.
It requires one bowl. One wooden spoon. And totally normal, run of the mill ingredients.
You will not need to spend your life’s savings shopping for gianduja chocolate or feuilletine on Amazon.
You will not need to wait 24 hours for your cookie dough to chill overnight.
HECK, you will not even need to wait for butter to soften!
And yet the cookies will still be thick, big as your face, chewy as all get-out, perfection.
I’ve made these, oh, ten thousand times in their most simplest form and they are fantastic.
Really. No sprucing up needed.
And yet, I had a carton of pistachios eyeing me from the corner of my cabinets and a jar of smoked sea salt languishing in the back of my pantry and WHO CAN ARGUE WITH THOSE TWO, especially when they’re begging you to make your favorite cookies at this very second.
It would certainly have required a much stronger woman than I not to make these, and someone with the self restraint of steel not to devour as many as I have in the past 48 hours. Personally, I’m just patting myself on the back since they’ve lasted this long, which has truly not been an easy feat.
- ½ lb butter, melted and still warm
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups flour
- 2 tbsp malted milk powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp smoked sea salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 (12 oz) bag semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the butter, brown sugar, and regular sugar with a wooden spoon until well combined, about 1 minute. Add in the egg and vanilla, and stir until well combined, about 1 minute. Stir in the flour, milk powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, mixing until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips and pistachios, stirring until evenly distributed.
- Using a ? cup measure, scoop the dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, leaving about 2-3 inches between cookies. I was able to fit about 6 cookies on a regular cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely on the pan before eating.