The classic tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich combo gets a twist with this citrus-infused fire-roasted tomato orange soup paired with a grilled cheddar cheese sandwich.
So, remember when we thought last week was spring?!
That was funny.
Now we’re hearing all sorts of Things That Shall Not Be Named on the news and phrases like “Nor’Easter” are being tossed about like it ain’t no thang.
It is a thang.
A serious, tragic, why is this happening to me kind of thang. Not to be taken lightly.
I was so struck by this news that I even resorted to pregaming this weekend.
And if you know me at all, you know that is just a mistake.
Because often when I “pre”game, there doesn’t end up being a “during”game or an “after”game. There is just me, sleeping, in a corner.
And that’s generally not fun for anyone.
But this weekend, for the sake of grilled cheese month, I risked it and whipped up some grilled cheese EIGHT DAYS EARLY. (<–Daring.)
Ohhhhhh you thought I was talking about pregaming alcohol. That’s cute.
No, those days are over for me because of the reasons mentioned above, but the days of grilled cheese consumption are just getting started and they’re getting started HARD.
Not hard as in, “whoa this recipe is a tough cookie”, but hard as in “whoa this recipe will knock your socks off”.
On the outside, it looks like any other tomato soup + grilled cheese = classic combo.
But on the inside, this tomato soup is filled with smoky fire-roasted tomato flavor and citrus undertones. I like to think these rich flavors make it all the more perfect for some serious grilled cheese dunking action. But you really should get your own pregaming party on and decide for yourself. Get to it!
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (I used Cara Cara oranges)
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices whole grain bread (I used an organic spelt bread)
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- To make the soup, melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the red onion and salt, and let cook until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, water, and orange juice to the pot, scraping the bottom to bring up any bits that might have stuck to the pan. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer, allowing to cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and, using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Stir in the sherry vinegar and black pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, for the grilled cheese, pair the bread slices. Rub butter over the sides of the bread that will be on the outside of the sandwich. Divide grated cheese among the bread pairs.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. One at a time, put the sandwiches into the pan and cover, cooking until one side is crispy, and then flipping and cooking until second side is crispy and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Divide soup among four bowls and serve with the sandwiches!