The flavors of a classic New York breakfast get baked together in this bagel, egg, and cream cheese breakfast casserole. Prepare it the night before and throw it in the oven in the morning for an easy and hearty breakfast!
The bagel store up the block is a constant source of eternal inner breakfast conflict.
Do I want an egg and cheese sandwich?
Or a cream cheese and lox sandwich?
Or a side of bagel with my tub of jalapeno/scallion/strawberry/blueberry/INSERT MY FLAVOR LOVE OF THE MOMENT schmear?
I choose (e) all of the above.
But deconstructed and then baked back together in a pan (minus the berry spreads because that would be weird) into a weekend-worthy breakfast that doesn’t have you making hard life/breakfast decisions before you’ve had your coffee.
Of course, OF COURSE (!) this recipe comes from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. I still can’t believe I didn’t think of it myself because it is so simple yet so genius at the same time.
The bagels get all toasty on the outside/custardy on the inside and are the perfect sized pieces to allow you to pack puffs of cream cheese. juicy tomato innards, and smoky salty (seductive) lox into just about every bite.
ANNNNDDD aside from how much it tastes exactly like what I imagine an ideal breakfast sandwich to be like (but BETTER), it is also just so easy. You prep it the night before, bake it off the next morning and VOILA!
All your breakfast dreams in one pan.
No impossible breakfast decisions required.
- 8 cups bagels cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1½ lb)
- 8 oz cream cheese, chilled and cut into irregular small bits
- ½ red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 8 large eggs
- 2⅓ cups milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- capers and lox, for serving
- The night before you want to bake this, spread a third of the bagel pieces in a 9x13-inch baking pan. Top with a third of the cream cheese chunks and a third of the red onion and cherry tomatoes. Repeat with two more alternating layers.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and black pepper. Pour over the bagel mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, heat oven to 350F. Remove the plastic wrap from the baking pan and bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 1 to 1¼ hours. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut into large squares and serve topped with capers and lox.