A fresh and spicy watermelon salad with cotija and serrano peppers. Great served alongside any summer meal.
TWO insanely easy no frills no fights recipes in a row?!
Pinch yourself, you’re in the right place.
I’m kind of liking this new, vaguely stressed, quicker in the kitchen me. Maybe I should take the boards every week?
JUST KIDDING, I’M TOTALLY GOING TO DEVOTE A WEEKEND TO MAKING CROISSANTS AFTER THIS. Mark my words.
But there is something appealing about having fewer dishes to do every night. Hmmm.
Whatever your reason for wanting quick and easy weeknight meals. WELCOME!!!
I have a watermelon salad for you. It’s barely even a recipe, just a little toss-stuff-in-a-bowl situation.
But GOOD stuff, like cold sweet watermelon, an ocean of salted lime juice, big scoops of cotija cheese, teensy serrano slices, and toasted pepitas for crunch.
It’s sweet, salty, tangy, crunchy and so refreshing.
We ate it alongside cheese quesadillas (can dinner get any easier?!), but I see it being delicious alongside anything tex-mexy or grilled.
And margs. Definitely margs.
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 2 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
- 2 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced crosswise
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 6 cups (1½ inch) seedless watermelon cubes
- ¾ cup crumbled cotija cheese, divided
- 5 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 5 tbsp toasted pepitas, chopped
- Whisk together the lime juice, scallion whites, serrano peppers, and salt in a large bowl. Allow rest for 5 minutes.
- Add in the watermelon, ½ cup of the cotija cheese, ¼ cup cilantro, ¼ cup pepitas, and the scallion greens, Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, toss together the remaining cotija cheese, cilantro, and pepitas. Divide the watermelon mixture among serving bowls. Top with the reserved cotija mixture and serve immediately.
I already love watermelon salads, and spice, so I’m aaaaalllll in for a spicy watermelon salad!
What a fun and tasty combination of flavors and textures. It looks refreshing and super tasty!