EASY. WEEKNIGHT. MEAL. ALERT.
You’re speaking my love language.
Did I mention I’m taking the internal medicine boards in a week and a half?
Probably not, because I’ve basically convinced myself it’s not happening. That, my friends is called AVOIDANCE. Also, DENIAL.
Everything the next few days is about quick, simple, meals that won’t cause any arguments at the dinner table.
One thing we can all agree to love it peanut sauce! It’s sweet, it’s salty, it’s savory and no one is mad about eating it multiple days in a row. This recipe is insanely simple, combining crispy roasted tofu and broccoli with a simple sesame-peanut pesto that can be made in a blender in less than two minutes.
We ate it next to a mound of brown rice, but it would also be great tossed with noodles or served with your favorite grain.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1 lb broccoli
- 3 tbsp peanut or neutral oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup peanuts, roasted
- 1½ tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp dark brown sugar
- Drain the tofu and place it on a few paper towels. Top with a few more paper towels and then top with a heavy pot or pan. Let it rest for 10-30 minutes to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400F.
- Chop the broccoli into bite-sized florets. Peel the skin off any stems and chop them into ½-inch pieces. Drizzle a baking sheet with 1 tbsp oil and brush it all over the pan. Top with the broccoli pieces and drizzle with a second tbsp of oil. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Line a second baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the tofu from the paper towels and cut it into 1-inch cubes. Toss the tofu with the remaining tbsp of oil, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Spread on the parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place both the baking sheets with the tofu and broccoli in the oven. Roast for 20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor until completely combined. Adjust the flavors to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, tofu, and half the sauce. Toss to combine. Serve with brown rice and extra pesto for drizzling.