One of the first things I did when I arrived home was cook up a bag of black beans in the crock pot. They are the perfect bean to have around because they are SO versatile and can be used in a thousand different ways. I’ve also been meaning to try cooking them using the pressure cooker method since my mom has one. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, especially as compared to the crockpot? I always like to get input before I try a new technique.
This salad was one that I saw on Closet Cooking a while ago and I believe it has its roots in a Veganomicon recipe, but I can’t really be sure. Either way, it’s so simple and can be completely adapted to what you have on hand. I chose to saute the veggies before mixing them in with the quinoa, although Kevin added them raw, but this is just a personal preference of mine. I also sauteed the mango and it really intensified in flavor. Each bite was like a whirlwind in my mouth. Anyway, if you ever have one of those nights where you just have to throw something together – this is the recipe for you.
Mango, Black Bean, and Quinoa Salad
Serves 2, adapted from Closet Cooking
1 cup quinoa
1 red bell pepper
1 cup black beans, cooked
1 jalapeno pepper
1/4 cup cilantro
1 tsp olive oil
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp cumin
1. Cook the quinoa as directed. NOTE – next time I make this, I will cook the quinoa in broth instead of water to give it some extra flavor.
2. Chop up all the veggies. Heat up the olive oil in a pan. Add the bell pepper and saute for a 5 minutes. Add in the mango, black beans, scallion, and cumin. Saute until the bell pepper is cooked and everything is heated through. Mix in the lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Combine with the quinoa and top with cilantro.
In keeping with tradition, I will list six reasons I am happy today:
1. It’s not raining (yet) so I might get to run outside.
2. I get to go to the Farmer’s Market today!
3. It’s the weekend.
4. Only two more weeks until I move into my apartment in MANHATTAN.
5. I had a great Thai dinner with my cousin a few nights ago which reminded me why I love her to death.
6. I get to pass this award on to some of my other favorite blogs!
Juliette passed the award on to five other blogs so I will do the same:
Living In The Kitchen With Puppies
My Tasty Treasures