These strawberry and blueberry almond Dutch baby pancakes are perfect to serve for breakfast-in-bed! No flipping required, just pop the batter into the oven and out the pancake comes with fruit bursting through in every bite.
We’ve become a pancake every weekend family and I’m not even sorry about it.
This is a huge step for me as a recovering pancake-flip-phobic individual. However, they do say that the best and only way to truly get over an irrational fear is by unapologetic exposure therapy.
So, there you go.
Alternatively, there’s also just pure avoidance and while most of the pancakes we make have me standing in front of the griddle facing my flip fears over and over (and over x 16), there are days when I’m just not up to the task.
And on these occasions, we Dutch baby.
I don’t know who invented this glorious no-flip, oven-baked, crispy on the outside, custardy on the inside pancake, but whoever you are – THANK YOU.
You have saved my Sunday mojo many a time. And then some.
You have also broken my daughter’s pancake-boycott streak (seriously, WHO IS SHE?!). And for that I am also quite grateful.
This particular Dutch baby is especially delicious, as it is positively overloaded with berries and then topped with toasted sliced almonds that add both crunch and great flavor.
It is my position that it is sweet enough to not need any added toppings, but you can always serve it topped with powdered sugar or maple syrup for added decadence if you so desire.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ tsp almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup quartered strawberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds, well-toasted
- Heat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, flour, milk, almond extract, and salt until the batter comes together but is still lumpy. Set aside.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the blueberries and strawberries to the pan. Cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Pour in the batter and immediately transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and scatter with toasted almonds. Serve warm.