This kale, cherry, and bulgur salad is a hearty and healthy summer dinner option! It is tossed with my favorite maple balsamic vinaigrette and topped with goat cheese as well as a savory pistachio granola.
It’s like an edible sigh of relief.
Because winter just can NOT return after they’ve hit the shelves.
(Don’t tell me.)
(Especially if I’m wrong.)
It seems a little crazy to think that winter weather could still happen in JUNE but…..it’s been chilly!!
And honestly, these are pretty bizarre times in which we’re living.
I wouldn’t put it past absolutely anything to happen.
Anyways. I digress.
BACK TO THE CHERRRRRIIIEESSS!!!
They’re my favorite fruit. Maybe of all time?
(Don’t tell mangoes. Or honeycrisp apples. Or perfectly ripe summer peaches.)
And they are so perfect for salads!!! They’re like the ideal pop of sweetness to actually get you excited about eating salad. I say this as a self-proclaimed salad hater, so you know it must be true.
And aside from the cherries, this salad has so much going on!!
There’s the savory pistachio-coconut granola, which is ADDICTIVE. It’s toasty and nutty and salty but with a hint of sweet!! Ahhh it’s perfect.
And then there’s the raw sweet corn, the earthy kale, the bulgur for oomph, and the goat cheese for extra yum factor.
Not that this needs extra yum factor. But, you know. WHY NOT.
(Just do it.)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 5 oz baby kale
- 4 ears fresh corn kernels
- 1½ cup fresh cherries, pitted
- 2 cups cooked beans
- 1 cup bulgur, cooked according to package directions and cooled to room temperature
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- For the granola, heat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, coconut flakes, pistachios, olive oil, maple syrup, and soy sauce. Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then toss and bake again for another 10-15 minutes or until the oats are crisply toasted and fragrant. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- To assemble the salad, toss the kale, corn, cherries, beans, and bulgur together in a large bowl. Add dressing to taste. Divide among four bowls and top with the savory granola and goat cheese crumbles.