A simple side salad for spring made with baby spinach, fresh raspberries, and goat cheese that are tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette.
Don’t mind me, just working on my salad game over here.
I’ve got the salad-as-a-meal concept down but if we’re being honest, I come from a lineage of terrible side salad makers. My mom would literally just pull a bag of pre-chopped lettuce out of the fridge, douse it in some blue cheese or ranch, and call it a vegetable. I used to think she was just being lazy, but now I have a kid and I know better. She was just surviving. I get it.
Thankfully, making a side salad with just a little more oomph really doesn’t take much more time or effort than the salads I had as a kid.
This simple spinach salad with raspberries, goat cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette is the PERRFFECCTTT side salad staple for spring. Just do a weekly shop for the ingredients and that’s already half the battle.
The other half is mixing up a big batch of dressing (which literally translates to just pouring ingredients into a jar and shaking them up) and then tossing everything together.
Remy hasn’t quite come around to the concept of salad yet, but she did pick out and eat all of the raspberries from her plate. They say that kids sometimes need to try something upwards of 20 times to come around to it, so I’m not shocked by that.
Don’t worry, kid. We’ve got all spring.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp honey
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup raspberries
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
- When you're ready to serve the salad, toss together the raspberries, red onion, baby spinach, and goat cheese in a large bowl. Add the dressing toss again. Serve immediately.