Brown butter salmon with red onion and dill makes for a delicious and indulgent dinner. Salmon is topped with a brown butter-lemon mixture and then baked to perfection.
Have you picked up a copy of Nothing Fancy yet???
It’s basically the cookbook that’s breaking the internet at the moment, in no small part due to this salmon, which is UN.REAL.
I can’t even sing it’s praises enough!!! But I’ll try. Oh yes, I’ll try.
Let’s start here:
Never before have I made a meal that was this delicious with so little effort.
This is a meal you can be proud to serve for guests (or for Christmas dinner if you weren’t hosting twenty people and salmon weren’t so dang expensive, ahem) but also perfect for a weeknight meal because IT IS DONE IN LESS THAN TWENTY MINUTES. Twelve minutes of which are spent with it in the oven.
First you make a brown butter sauce that gets infused with lemon slices (I chose meyer lemons because they have thinner, more palatable rinds), red onion, olive oil, and capers. It kind of has a bagels-and-lox feel to it but more rich and fabulous, because BROWN BUTTER. If you need me, I’ll be bathing in this from now on. Don’t judge.
This gets poured over the salmon and then you pop it in the oven – EASY.
While the salmon is baking, toss together dill, lemon juice, and toasted sesame seeds. I think black sesame seeds have better flavor and add more color contrast, so I went with those but feel free to choose any color sesame seed that you prefer or have on hand.
Scatter this over the salmon before serving.
And just like that, dinner is done.
Make it. And then invite me over because I never want to eat anything else again.
- 1 meyer lemon
- 2 lb salmon fillet
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 tbsp brined capers, drained
- 1 cup fresh dill
- 2 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds
- Heat oven to 325F. Thinly slice half the lemon, removing any seeds. Juice the other half of the lemon. Set aside.
- Place the salmon in a large baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, simmering until it browns, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the olive oil, lemon slices, and half of the sliced onion. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Continue to cook until the lemons and onion start to brown and crisp up, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the capers and remove from the heat.
- Pour the brown butter and lemon mixture over the salmon. Bake to desired done-ness (ideally medium-rare), about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- While the salmon cooks, toss together the dill, sesame seeds, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve the salmon topped with the dill and remaining sliced red onion.
Why I haven’t I ever put brown butter on salmon before?! We’re on a salmon w/ everything bagel seasoning kick and my kids ate wayy more than I anticipated the other day.
Aren’t you vegetarian?
99% of the time, but we do eat some fish on occasion (maybe once every few months) when the mood strikes.