When warm weather hits, grain salads make for the perfect light meal. This barley salad with kale, pistachios, and feta is a great summer side or dinner salad.
Attending an Indian wedding and only getting pulled into a bathroom once for an emergency sari malfunction fix deserves a prize.
Even if that fix involves being told that you are wearing your blouse backwards.
It happens. Apparently.
And if you’re really lucky, it will happen before you have to make your speech in front of all the wedding guests, and not after.
Normally I like to reward myself for good behavior with varying degrees of ice cream and chocolate consumption. But I think I ate all the paneer in the tri-state area this weekend.
So a salad that makes me feel good from the inside out is all the reward I need.
Full of bright, fresh lemony flavor and some deliciously salty creaminess from the feta, this barley salad packs some serious flavor. With garlicky wilted kale and white beans added for heft and health, and toasted pistachios for a touch of sweetness, it is perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
And if you then want to reward yourself for your reward being so good for you with a bowl of ice cream…no one will blame you.
- 1½ cups barley
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, slivered
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- ⅓ cup pistachios, lightly toasted
- freshly ground black pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a large pot, combine the barley with 3 cups water and ¾ tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn the heat to low, simmering until liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, tear the kale leaves from their stems and coarsely chop them. Wash if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and then add the garlic, cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the kale and a few pinches of salt. Cook until wilted, stirring frequently. Transfer the kale to a large bowl and then stir in the lemon zest, dill, white beans, feta, and pistachios. When the barley is done, stir in the barley.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
For more summery whole grain salads, check out these:
From Around the Web:
Steamed Beet and Whole Grain Barley Salad from Savoring the Thyme
Barley Kale and Cherry Salad from Running to the Kitchen
Black Barley, Purslane and Watermelon Salad from Healthy Green Kitchen