Savory waffles are where it’s at.
Except for the time I attempted a kale stuffed waffle…there’s a reason why those never made it to the blog. And that reason may be that we ended up pulling the kale out piece by piece while standing over the garbage, topping the remaining waffle bits with maple syrup, and pretending the whole thing never happened.
They were that bad.
But THESE savory waffles!!! Are off the heezy fo’ sheezy. (<–technical terms)
I mean, they’re made from leftover mashed potatoes! So obviously we’re off to a good start. And then they’re topped with creamed spinach, which basically makes them a superfood by association. With the final layer being a POACHED EGG == the stuff that all my runny yolk dreams are made of.
I’m not sure that I’ll ever look at another eggs benedict the same way again.
And I’m entirely sure that I’m totally okay with that.
Guess what, guys? This week is WAFFLE WEEK!! And we are celebrating big time with all sorts of waffle creations.
Check out what everyone else brought to the breakfast table!
- Waffled Polenta Crisps with Caponata by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cheese & Pear Waffle Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Churro Waffles by A Nerd Cooks
- Coconut Flour Waffles with Macadamia Nuts and Spiced Pineapple Syrup by Aloha Flavor
- Orange and Dark Chocolate Waffles by Cookie Monster Cooking
- Buckwheat Waffles Benedict by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Honey Bacon Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed French Toast Waffles by The Spiffy Cookie
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Pecan Waffles by Rhubarb and Honey
- Toasted Coconut Waffles by The Chef Next Door
- Pumpkin Waffle Sandwiches with Apple Butter and Brie by Go Go Go Gourmet
- Potato Waffle Eggs Florentine by Eats Well With Others
- Cauliflower Cheese Waffles by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet potato waffles with horseradish sauce by Our Good Life
- Mac and Cheese Waffles with Honey Bunches Chicken by Baking In A Tornado
- Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffles by Fuchsia Freezer
- Brown Sugar Chicken and Waffles by GirlCarnivore
- Chicken and Spiced Sweet Potato Waffles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Waffle Cones by Eva Bakes
- Pumpkin Pecan Waffles by Feed Me, Seymour
- Apple Pie Waffles by Spiced
- Red Velvet Waffles with Bourbon Cherry Syrup & Cream Cheese Drizzle by Cooking In Stilettos
- Pumpkin Pie Waffle Cake by Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Chocolate Strawberry Waffles by Dinner at the Zoo
- Banana Split Waffles by Cravings of a Lunatic
- 4 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 large egg
- flour, for dusting
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp unsalted butter
- 1½ tbsp flour
- 6 large eggs, poached
- For the waffles, heat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. In a medium bowl, whisk together the potatoes and egg. Dust a work surface with flour. Form the potato mixture into six patties, coating both sides with a light dusting of flour. Cook in the waffle iron until browned and crispy.
- For the creamed spinach, wash the spinach and then place in a large pot over high heat. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally until wilted. Squeeze out the excess liquid in the spinach and coarsely chop. Wipe out the pot you used to make the spinach.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat, until warm. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the onion in the butter in the large pot over medium low heat. Stir occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking constantly, about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the warm cream. Simmer until thickened, whisking constantly. Stir in the spinach and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve the waffles topped with the spinach and a poached egg.
Waffles, waffles, everywhere!
From Around the Web:
Brioche Waffle Stuffed with Ground Peanut Brittle from Lady and Pups
Simple Sunday Morning Waffles from Pass the Sushi
Tiramisu Waffles from Love & Olive Oil
Apple Pie Waffles from Baked By Rachel
Sweet Corn Waffles with Blueberry Bourbon Sauce from Healthy Delicious