In case you’ve ever wondered what the prospect of working ELEVEN DAYS STRAIGHT could do to a person.
This. Pie. Is. It.
Like, I don’t even need oxygen, just hand me a slice of this and it will be my life force.
Drastic times, y’all.
So excessive, yet so necessary.
I also made like five pasta dishes today to get us through the week.
Carbs are friends, not foe! Especially on these ICU days/nights I’ve been working where you have to eat each meal as if it’s the last one you’ll eat for the next twelve hours.
Because, seriously, it might be.
Not that excuses are ever necessary to make pie (or pasta), at least not round these parts.
But a crazy schedule plus a certain deep hankering for all the chocolate (<– ladies, you know where I’m coming from) sure does make it a whole lot easier to justify it to yourself in the midst of bikini season.
Throw on your one piece and settle in poolside with a slice of this.
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup milk powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4½ oz 72% chocolate
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- For the crust, toss the graham crumbs, milk powder, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter and heavy cream. Add to the bowl with the dry ingredients and toss to evenly mix.
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Pour 1¼ cups of the graham crust into a 10-inch pie tin, reserving the remaining crust for the filling. Press the crust into the pie pan so that it covers the bottom and sides completely. Place in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
- For the filling, combine the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and melt them together in the microwave, heating in 30 second intervals and stirring after each interval.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip for 3-4 minutes on high, or until fluffy. Replace the whisk with the paddle attachment. Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and mix together on low for 30 seconds. Turn the speed up to medium and beat for 1 minute, or until completely combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt to the batter and mix on low speed for 45-60 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the heavy cream in a slow stream with the mixer running on low, mixing for 30-45 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the reserved graham cracker crust with a spatula.
- Place the pie pan with the crust already in it on a sheet pan. Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Bake for 25 minutes, or until it is slightly puffy on the sides and has a sugary crust on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
More (non fruit) pies!