Banana chocolate chunk muffins with cinnamon crumble – these are the perfect wake-up call in the morning! They are rich, chocolatey and make for a great breakfast treat.
I’m not saying I *intentionally* buy an excess of bananas every week just so that I can let them brown on the counter and use them as an excuse to make banana muffins, but I’m afraid the evidence would suggest otherwise.
No one is complaining about it around here, I’ll tell you that much.
Not that my muffin game wasn’t good to begin with, but it was really stepped up when I started making these banana chocolate chunk muffins.
Make no mistake about it, these are pure MAGIC.
A crispy cinnamon streusel crumble topping, pools of chocolate puddles in every bite.
M A G I C.
I can’t lie to you, they’re also pretty much cake.
Don’t have any illusions about these being healthy or wholesome – they are absolutely a breakfast treat and/or (preferably AND) dessert.
Also a bonus is that they are pretty easy to prepare.
I made them on a weeknight with Remy doing her usually “helping” (ie sneaking bites of chocolate chips and banana when I’m not looking) and we still had dinner on time.
Well, at least those of us who hadn’t filled up on muffin batter did.
- 1⅔ cup (210 g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups (360 g) dark brown sugar
- ½ cup (110 g) unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⅔ cups (210 g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup + 2½ tbsp (230 g) sugar
- 6 tbsp + 1 tsp (100 mL) canola oil
- 2 tbsp (30 g) sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 or 4 (340 g) ripe bananas, mashed
- 2¾ oz (80 g) dark chocolate, chopped
- Heat oven to 350F.
- To make the crumble, combine the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is incorporated and the mixture is moistened and starts to form crumbles. Set aside.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- For the muffins, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the eggs and the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- With the mixer still running on high speed, drizzle in the oil. Once completely combined, reduce the speed to low and add in the sour cream and vanilla. Add in the flour mixture and mix on low until just incorporated.
- Add in the mashed bananas and fold in by hand until just incorporated. Do the same with the chocolate chunks.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups until they are ⅔ full and top with 1-2 tbsp of streusel.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving.