It’s too late and I’ve drank three too many glasses of white wine, so let’s just keep this short and sweet, shall we?
Or short and leafy.
This is what happens when it’s end-of-July and you’re still getting five kinds of lettuce in your CSA!
Did I mention that I strongly dislike lettuce?
S T R O N G L Y.
But I’ve learned to tolerate it when there’s farro taco “meat” and pepperjack cubes involved.
Who wouldn’t?! So good.
The farro is sauteed in Mexican spices and has the same crumbly texture as actual taco meat. Then you add cherry tomatoes, corn, black beans, chips, and CHEESE to the mix. Plus a little lettuce on the side. If you must.
- 1 cup farro, cooked according to package instructions and drained (about 2½ cups cooked)
- ½ cup salsa verde
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- 5 oz spring mix lettuce
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ears of corn kernels
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- 8 oz pepperjack cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes
- To make the farro, combine the cooked farro, salsa verde, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper in a large pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and then cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a high powered blender, combine the ingredients for the dressing. Pulse until totally smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Toss together the ingredients for the salad. Top with the farro and a drizzle of dressing. Serve at room temperature.
More super fun salads!
From Around the Web:
Moroccan Chickpea and Carrot Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
Strawberry Tropical Fruit Salad from Spoonful of Flavor
Ribboned Cucumber Salad with Chile and Roasted Peanuts from The Yellow House
Freekeh Salad with Sweet Corn and Arugula from Naturally Ella
Wheat Berry and Blistered Tomato Mason Jar Salads from Floating Kitchen