Just me again. Trying to make you eat vegetables for breakfast.
AND NOT EVEN SORRY ABOUT IT.
Look, most of my patients these past two weeks have been over 60.
I see where we’re all headed, and it involves lots of cholesterol medications.
Trust me when I say –> EAT. THE. VEGETABLES.
And the brown butter???
Err, everything in moderation.
Okay, so these may not be the healthiest muffin on the block, but they are pretty darn tasty.
The brown butter gives them this addictively nutty flavor and then there are also gooey pockets of cheese scattered throughout. It’s glorious. Honestly, the zucchini is kind of tasteless, but that’s okay! It cancels out all the saturated fat with it’s fiber and vitamins, etc. I’m sure that’s how it works.
- ½ cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large zucchini
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 8 oz grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until the butter starts to brown and smell nutty, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer immediately to a bowl to cool to room temperature.
- Once butter is cool, whisk in the eggs and buttermilk. Grate the zucchini and ix into the bowl with the butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cornmeal. Add the grated cheese and toss to combine.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin so that each cup is filled about ¾ full.
- Bake until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Cool in the pan for ten minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool.
More baking with zucchini!