A healthy vegan tomato, coconut, and red lentil soup that can be made in 30 minutes and is filled with creamy curry flavor.
First full work week of 2020!!!
By which I mean, this is going to be a challenge. To put it mildly.
It’s only 7:30AM and I already woke up an hour later than intended this morning and when I did manage to pull myself out of bed, Remy informed me, “But the sun’s not up!!!! IT’S STILL SLEEP TIME.”
I hear you kid, I really do.
So now I’m sipping my coffee and writing this post when I really should be frantically getting dressed and running out the door. We’re off to a great start!!
In my defense, you just really needed to know about this recipe at the start of your workweek because it is a hearty, wholesome, pantry weeknight meal lifesaver!!
It’s filled with great things like lentils, canned tomatoes, and cilantro with all the warm flavors of curry so it’s kind of like you’re eating a warm (slightly spicy) hug. Pretty sure we could all use a little more of that during these troubled times.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tbsp Madras curry powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2-inch (5 cm) piece of ginger, minced
- ¾ cup (150 g) red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz/400 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1¼ cups (25 g) cilantro (stems and leaves), roughly chopped
- 2½ cups (600 mL) water
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 (13.5 oz/400 mL) can coconut milk
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and saute for 8 minutes, stirring frequently, or until tender and caramelized. Add in the curry powder, red pepper flakes, garlic, and ginger. Saute for another 2 minutes, or until frequently, stirring constantly. Stir in the lentils, tomatoes, cilantro, water, 1 tsp salt, and black pepper.
- Set aside ¼ cup of the coconut milk, then pour in the remainder of it. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium and simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Season again to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Divide the soup among four serving bowls. Drizzle with the reserved coconut milk and serve warm.
It looks and sounds comforting and so delicious!
I have every ingredient! Perfect soup for the cold and rainy wet coast weather. Making it tomorrow.
Great soup Joanne, thanks for the recipe!
I doubled it – next time I will make four times the amount because it is so delicious! – and added chopped carrot and celery, and an extra tablespoon of curry powder. I used 1 can of coconut milk, and subbed water for the second can. Also, I added some fresh lemon juice.
This will now be my go-to red lentil soup!
This is delicious and easy. Wonderful! I shared some with a neighbor and she has already made another batch herself. 🙂