Simple spicy roasted potatoes and cherry tomatoes tossed with lemon and fresh herbs – the perfect side dish for any meal.
If you’re looking for a way to breathe new life into simple classic roasted potatoes:
Hi. Welcome. You’re among friends.
I love an easy side dish as much as the next gal, but do you know what I Love (with a capital L) even more??
CRISPY CARAMELIZED EDGES.
And these have all of the above. Plus dill and sweet roasted cherry tomatoes and a bright lemony touch and did I mention dill??
First you start by heating up some oil in a large skillet for toasting the spices and crisping up the garlic. So much garlic!!! It’s kind of the best.
Next add the cherry tomatoes just to get them a little loosey juicy, the toss the whole oil/spice/garlic/tomato mixture with some potato spears. I used quartered fingerlings, mostly for their resemblance to french fries and an optimistic thought that that would trick my child into eating them (spoiler alert: it didn’t), but any small potato shape works here.
Roast them till they’re all shrunken and wrinkled and browned and beautiful. Then top with a spritz of lemon juice and handfuls of dill.
We ate them with eggs, but a fish or roasted meat if that’s more your thang would also work here.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 7 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lb 10 oz fingerling potatoes, quartered
- ½ tsp sugar
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup dill, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the cumin and coriander and saute until fragrant, then add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until just starting to brown. Add in the red pepper flakes and tomatoes. Saute for another 2 minutes, then add the potatoes, sugar, 1 tsp salt, and black pepper. Stir together then transfer to the prepared baking sheet and spread out in a single layer.
- Roast for 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before adding the lemon juice and dill. Toss to combine and serve.