A hearty and healthy Mediterranean stew filled with eggplant, tomatoes, spinach, orzo, and a sprinkling of feta on top.
So I’m beginning to think this boyfriend of mine is a bad influence.
This weekend he pretty much forced me to watch the new Miley Cyrus video. And the uncensored Robin Thicke video.
The two of which, combined, have pretty much enough nipple action to fill a soft-core porn video.
He may or may not be trying to tell me something.
But to be honest, all I got out of the experience was a strong desire to give Miley a tetanus shot. It’s the (future) doctor in me.
For real though, all that naked gyrating on/licking of metal surfaces cannot be good for keeping Clostridium out of your bloodstream. Just saying.
If you haven’t seen the videos, consider yourself in the lucky minority, because I’m not sure my eyes or my short-term memory will ever recover. (Though it is good to know that after all these years, I still have some doctoral instincts coursing through my veins.)
And if you have. I feel your pain.
Let’s support group it out, eggplant stew style.
Because this meal, filled with eggplant, tomatoes, spinach, and all the Mediterranean flavors your heart can desire, is possibly just wholesome enough to make you forget about all the unsavory things in this world. (Pun very much intended).
And, at the very least, will transport you back to a time where music videos were actually about music and you could get dinner on the table in under thirty minutes and have it actually be good for you.
Sigh. The good old days.
One year ago…Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Cupcakes
Three years ago…Mexican Sweet Potato Risotto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 lb orzo
- 4 oz feta, crumbled
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot on low heat. Add in the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and salt and cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the eggplant and cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the bell peppers, tomatoes, and water. Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the black pepper, spinach, lemon juice and dill, cooking for a few minutes or until the spinach wilts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare orzo according to package directions. Toss with the eggplant stew. Top each bowl with the feta cheese.