1. Only regret from my weekend in Vermont with the Cabot Fit Team? Not taking one of these home with me. It was close. Until I smelled the barn. Then I decided owning a foal is like having a baby. It’s most fun when you can hand the poop cleaning duties off to someone else.
2. In all seriousness, the Cabot Fit Team weekend was THE.BEST. I didn’t have a chance to get into it much, between the puking and the pinky loss that immediately followed, but getting to hang out with so many AMAZING women was absurdly inspirational and I am so grateful that I was chosen out of so many qualified applicants for this awesome experience. I always find it crazy when I meet someone for the first time and feel this sort of instant connection, like we’ve known each other forever. But to feel that for NINE OTHER PEOPLE is just unheard of. And yet, it happened. Love that.
3. Not to mention, I had an awesome race. The Vermont Keybank City Marathon and Relay is split into three races: a full marathon, a 2 person relay, and a 5 person relay. We had members of the team participating in each, but I ran the second of half of the marathon, with Carissa of Fit2Flex running the first half. In case you’re keeping track, yes this means I ran back to back half marathons two weekends in a row. Yes, this means I did not taper and was hypothetically running on “tired legs”. But there must be something to this whole #fueledoncheddar business, because even though it was hot and I had already walked almost 4 miles by the time I started running, I felt great. I had a definite negative split (meaning that I ran the second half of the race faster than the first), and by the end I was coasting past other runners and speeding up to an 8:15 minute/mile pace from my starting pace of 10 min/mile. If only every race could be like that…but maybe it can be if I eat more cheddar? On it.
4. Favorite quote from the.boy this weekend as I was BEGGING him to go for a walk with me and he was refusing to leave our apartment – “I like being lazy. That is the best part. Of everything.”
6. We have finally made some wedding progress in the form of a wedding playlist! Made by yours truly. It’s basically the best of the 80’s, 90’s, today, and the eclectic bands I listened to in college. Plus some truly so-bad-they’re-good songs like Party in the U.S.A, Super Bass, and Crazy For This Girl. Because, nostalgia.
7. Recommendations are still being accepted so save our attendees’ ears from bleeding with your (undoubtedly) better taste.
8. Guess who dragged the.boy to a vegetarian restaurant this weekend against his will?!
9. In my defense – JALAPENO HUSH PUPPIES WITH MAPLE BUTTER. Yeah, I really twisted his arm.
back to back half marathons is SO impressive! I just bounced with excitement!
And in response to #4….yes. Just yes.
I had a little giggle at your playlist. It’s going to be legendary though. 🙂
That’s awesome news about your race! And who doesn’t love Cabot – we always have their cheese in our fridge! Glad you had such a great weekend 🙂 Love visiting there!
I’m so jealous of your Dirt Candy dinner! I’ve been wanting to go there forever!!
You went to Dirt Candy! So jealous. I’ve just been making due with the cookbook. I really need to make a reservation!
I love that quote, I’m going to have to start using it!
Congrats on your race and sounds like it was a fun time too! Hope your pinky is feeling better.
I was drooling over all the Cabot posts from you ladies on Instagram. Seriously awesome job!!
Congrats on the race, that is impressive, and so nice that you ended on a great UP…. It never happened to me. Ever.
We live near university farms – every day we drive through them, and I enjoy so much looking at the cows and their behavior, they are amazing creatures… These are research cows, and live a pretty good life, as far as we can tell.
Jalapeno hush puppies with maple butter???? Any chance you’re going to come up with a recipe for this? I’m dying! Sounds like the best new brunch treat I’ve ever heard!
my boy asked me to make tempeh for him the other day. SAY WHAT?!
I’m still basking the glow of the CabotFit weekend – you summed it perfectly 🙂 And I’m stoked you had such a great race – I never got to recap with you afterwards but you were looking awesome & in the zone when I saw you (esp. for back to back half marathons – you are a warrior!)
1&2-yay! how fun! So jealous!
6&7-we’ve been working on our playlist for awhile 😛 It sounds to me like you’re on a great track! Maybe throw in some fun groovy songs to-like “I’m so Excited”, “Dancing in September” “Play That Funky Music-White Boy” 😛
Congratulations on the race! It sounds like it was a one of those fantastic “everything just feels great and is awesome” kind of days!
*makes coffee and sits down to read*
Jalapeno hush puppies what what what WHAT??
Hmm wedding playlist recommendations. “If Not For You” if you want to be gooey and romantic. “December, 1963” if you want to boogie.
jalapeno hush puppies? yum-o!
I agree, that weekend was epic! A trip of a lifetime. It was a pleasure meeting you!
sounds like a great trip!!
Mmm… a restaurant we sometimes go to has the best cornbread with just the slightest hint of jalapenos and maple butter. Best combo ever.
Wow! You’re amazing! Two half marathons in a row. You go girl! I’ve yet to do one. My hopes are …some day. Kids are getting older so it’s making it a little easier to find the time to leave the house.
Hope the finger is still on the mend.
Great chatting with you this Wednesday Joanne! 🙂
Awwww those cows are so adorable! That race sounds AMAZING! I LOVE VT, such a fan! Awesome food and beer! Sounds like the vegetarian restaurant was amazing too! YUM!
Um. you are right about the poop thing. Not my favorite part of parenthood. But kids. So cute.
Sorry about your finger (had to dig back in the archives for that). I am not surprised you are doing so well. Back in my single days, I was a menace in the kitchen. Burning myself making a big batch of jambalaya. Man, it was good. I took it to a potluck. And I gave the entire second tray away because I was still hurting from the burn. Still have the scar.
And then, there was that day – I took the day off work to do last minute prep and study for my Professional Engineer’s exam (Chemical engineering – 8 hour professional exam). At dinner time, decided to whip myself up a veggie burger. They were frozen together. So, I used a knife to pry them apart. With my other hand underneath. Uh oh.
I ended up wrapping my left hand in a gatorade towel, driving myself to the Army base (I was in the Navy), and sitting for awhile (hand in a bowl!) before getting stitches AND a tetanus shot. Let me tell you, that test the next day was FUN! But I still passed. Still have that scar too.
I know – aren’t those little calves the sweetest! We visit one at a farm near our country home and he is just the most lovable thing ever.
I’m salivating at the thought of jalapeno hush puppies with maple butter . . . I just . . . can’t. YUM!
Congrats on an awesome race!
#fueledbycheddar <— it's a thang 🙂
So proud of your time and even more proud I got a chance to finally meet you. You're an amazing lady in so many ways… and to think, now you do it all with 9.75 fingers 🙂 #ThatWasSoWrong
I just spent last weekend in VT! Moo. 🙂
How was Dirt Candy??
It is so fun to read the account of someone who had such a joyful time with one of their passions of life. Smiles to you. Hey Hey on the playlist. Foal for a calf picture? Did I miss something—–Lol
Yay for negative splits!
Such cute calves, but, yeah, the poo factor. Sounds like you had a memorable 2 weeks in many ways. As far as music, for dancing and perking people up (not that they’ll need that) “Jump” by the Pointer Sisters and “You Drive Me Crazy” by the Fine Young Cannibals. Yeah, goin’ back in time here. 🙂
So did he like Dirt Candy??
Those baby calves are adorable. I want one! Too bad about the smell lol. Anyway, your wedding playlist sounds good so far! And jalapeno hush puppies with maple butter… oh yeah that sounds good!
Aww…that cow is adorable! So precious :D!!
Jalapeno Hush Puppies.. oh goodness.. YES!
Wow, you are awesome! Obviously, in great shape to run back to back races. You go Girl!
I love that quote from your guy…I like being lazy. That is the best part. Of everything. Too funny!
BABY COWS!!!! I must snorgle them!
“…the best of the 80?s, 90?s, today” – I’m pretty sure that is the call sign for every hit radio station across America. You’re set.
i cannot believe you ran back to back halfs and still had some speed in your legs! definitely the cheese.
You are a badass!
I think you’re on the right track with 80s/90s FOR SURE. Play a little “What Is Love” (not even ironically) and “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” and you’ll have a room full of happy people, guaranteed!
Awwwwww, i want that baby cow!!! So glad to hear you had an awesome time. Also, that vegetarian restaurant’s menu sounds amazing.
Jalapeno Hush WHAT? Shut your mouth girl, that sounds ridiculous!
I grew up on a dairy farm and let me tell you that you get use to the smell of the barn and after a while you wouldn’t even notice the smell. Also remember those calves don’t stay small for very long the get very big.
The baby cow!!! It’s soooo cute!!!
The baby cow is so cute! So glad you enjoyed Cabot Fit Team weekend, saw your pictures on insta! I would also drag out the Mr. for jalapeño hush puppies…NO resisting that! How is your finger healing?!
I can totally relate to you on the frustration with trying to get boys to go on walks when it is pretty out! If it was football season, there would not be a chance of that in my house. Hopefully y’all enjoyed the vegetarian restaurant – I’m not sure that I could convince my husband to go that route! My fav in the East Village was Angelica Kitchen – I missed their vegan soups!!
Congrats on the race! It must be the cheddar and all those superfood veggies you eat! I love #4 and #9. And 10 too.
[…] persevered through hills to earn her half marathon medal along with Joanne (who ran back to back half marathons in two weeks.) Mary – sidelined with a stress fracture […]