1. Some days just call for beer. And chocolate.
3. Is anyone else slightly bummed that I have NO MORE HONEYMOON RECAPS for you? I feel like every Wednesday Coffee Talk from now on is just going to be so anti-climactic. I mean…what could top ITALY.
4. CSA UPDATE: I have been totally negligent about updating you!! (#hidesinacorner). Honestly, that’s largely because for a long time we were mostly getting fifty shades of lettuce, and I just couldn’t bore you with salad after salad after salad. But now we’re knee deep in summer squash and oriental eggplants and summer spinach and swiss chard! So many of my favorites. Anyone else out there CSA-ing? What is your favorite thing that you’ve made with your veggie hauls?
5. The one thing we haven’t gotten yet that I am DYING FOR is multi colored heirloom tomatoes. I feel like at this time last year, we were rolling in them but I think it’s just been a cooler summer overall, which is not ideal for tomato growth. Might have to hit up a farmer’s market this weekend to find some!
6. In other news, I feel like summer has been FLYING. This may have something to do with the fact that my thesis defense has been scheduled for September 22nd…meaning I actually have to write my thesis before then. Hold me.
7. I spent half of work yesterday reading/thinking about this terrifying article I read in The New Yorker. If you need me, I’ll be in a constant state of panic.
8. And no, this did NOT help my plight from #6, thankyouverymuch.
9. So, I did something kind of crazy yesterday. I signed up for this smoothie ingredient delivery service. Basically they send you ingredients/recipes for five, two serving smoothies every week! That’s TEN SMOOTHIES. I might end up just doing every other week, but I’ve really been wanting to get smoothie-ing and this is the kick in the butt I needed. Excited. (PS – this was not sponsored at all! They don’t even know I exist.)
10. Don’t tell the.boy, but he’s totally going to be forced to smoothie with me. Except for the really awesome smoothies…I’m probably going to insist on having both of those myself.
I’m having a beer and chocolate week. Although a smoothie ingredient delivery service in my area might change that (the carrot mango kiwi smoothie is right up my alley). 🙂
Yikes – after reading that New Yorker article, I’m in a similar state of panic. I think I’ll be shopping for beer and chocolate today too.
You are writing a thesis too?! Oh my goodness busy girly, no wonder you need the chocolate and beer. I’m with you, WHERE ARE THE HEIRLOOM TOMATOES?!
I think this means you and the boy need to take another trip to Italy!…haha. But seriously, I agree that summer has been flying by. You’ve totally got this thesis thing though–and I bet all the fresh CSA veggies and vitamins and minerals from all those smoothies will power you through to the finish line!
oh I started reading the #7 article and it got too much but I am already scared – I miss the happy shiny honeymoon photos! Enjoy summer and smoothies and tomatoes and thesis before the big one!
You should take a second honeymoon so you have more recaps to share with us 🙂
I feel like every day at the moment requires beer and chocolate.
Joanne, we still love Wednesday coffee talks. . plus, you are newlyweds now so there’s sure to be fun topics coming up! 😛 Yes, I want all the multi colored heirloom tomatoes. I grab these all the time at the farmers market. . I didn’t sign up with a CSA this summer!!! not sure what the hell I was thinking but ..anyway. . you’ll have to let us know about green blender. . I always seem to have all of my smoothie ingredients on hand but would love to hear about some new things! happy Wednesday!
LOL >> fifty shades of lettuce. I had the best home grown heirloom tomato just yesterday, actually. Not from my own garden, sadly. But still. Transported. And ya, summer is going by WAY too fast. Make it stop!
omg I really don’t know how to feel after reading this post. That earthquake article was terrifying… But smoothie delivery service?!!? I feel so many emotions!!
So glad I’m not the only one who gets freaked out by reading those types of articles. It also makes me really glad we decided not to move to Oregon.
My tomato plants have been doing terribly this year, and I’m hearing the same from lots of friends. Hopefully we’ll get some good ones come August!
i have been thinking of doing CSA once i move to more CSA friendly area, which is to happen this week.and im no where near packed. i will need that beer and all the chocolate. i need to know more about this smoothie service.
I just read that New Yorker article. Funny thing is, when I lived in Vancouver, so many people were talking about when the “big one” would hit. We had earthquake drills I think 3 times per school year every year. Now that I’m in Toronto, I always found it weird how schools here don’t do it
We’ve got all the heirloom tomatoes over here in Southwest Virginia! Unfortunately not too many of our local farmers offer CSAs, but I’m hoping to find one in time for next spring! Have you ever tried Scalded Lettuce? It’s a spring tradition around these parts, and a great way to use lettuce when you’re tired of salads! Plus there’s bacon. And I’m sure you could work in some chocolate. And of course serve it with a beer!
I think every day is chocolate day 🙂
Your writing always keeps me relaxed and these cofee talks are just amazing! 🙂
I totally love the idea of a smoothie service!
No shame, indeed!
Summer is flying by! I’ve been loving the cucumbers from my CSA lately. I can’t get enough of Greek salads and tzatziki and pickles. Good luck with your thesis!
Yeah, summer is flying! Now I need to get some heirloom tomatoes! That delivery service sounds interesting!
I’ve been a long time reader and I’ve never commented, but I wanted to thank you so much for your food positivity. You’re one of the rare bloggers who celebrates the joy of food and chocolate without ever food shaming.Thank you!
Oh my gosh, thesis writing… I don’t know how you do it. I actually love that stuff and would totally offer my services, but I know nothing about your field so I wouldn’t be much help at all. I can send you some chocolates though? Oh my gosh, a smoothie delivery service? I don’t know if you know of my addiction to subscriptions, but I am and now I need to subscribe because that sounds amazing. I am up for anything that can take my smoothie making to a new level. And yes… summer is going waaaaay too fast. I have to register my daughter for preschool and I’ve been procrastinating and now I am rushing to get it all done.
Love your Wed. Coffee Talks but now that I’m appropriately freaked out about EQs did you read the next article about man-made quakes in OK caused by fracking? I’m going to need several boxes of heirloom tomatoes and that smoothie delivery service just to calm down!
Smoothie delivery? That’s kind of hilarious but awesome. Too bad I’m reluctant to use my blender because the sound scares the heck out of L! Now please tell me what to do with this big white eggplant from my CSA box!
The summer is going way too fast for me! I haven’t been able to enjoy it yet and it’s going to be over soon. Boo. Thanks for turning us on to the smoothies! I’ve been wanting to get back into the habit and that makes it so easy! I hope they deliver to me.
Very interested to hear about how you like the smoothie delivery service!
That smoothie service sounds fantastic. I didn’t know you were having a cooler than average summer. We are definitely having a cooler than average winter so summer can’t come soon enough for me xx
You write so well, you might call things anti climatic, but for us is fun. You are in an awesome phase of your life now, and I’m sure we’ll get to read more amazing updates.
Keep writing and cooking up some of your crazy amazing dishes, and I will be a regular visitor.
I think you’ve found the solution to your recent ho-hum attitude to smoothies! You’ll be rolling in them alongside the amazing vegetables. I’m sure all that goodness will go some way to offsetting thesis writing and earthquake survival…:S
July has flown by for me too! At least I have some data now? Haha…
But your thesis defense!! Sounds scary but exciting! You will get it done though, and obviously do great 🙂
Beer + Chocolate = Totally Necessary
I’ve been CSAing all summer! Favorite thing I made was definitely my last post : http://becausefoodislife.com/2015/07/23/vietnamese-rice-noodle-salad/
So many veggies and I didn’t even have to turn on my stove. You think it’s going to be all RAW VEGGIE but really it’s just delicious.
I hear ya, this summer is flying by way too quickly, can’t believe September is just around the corner. I know you are totally going to rock your thesis and the smoothie delivery service sounds so fun!
I miss the Italy pics too!! I lived vicariously through you two! Seem like you are back to reality and back hard with a thesis due EEEEEEEK!
I’ve missed your Coffee Talks! And your blog. I’ve got some back-reading to do to hear all about that awesome honeymoon of yours!!! That smoothie service sounds pretty amazing. Gonna have to check it out… And good luck with that thesis. Those things are no fun at all 🙁
I’m having a kiwifruit and chocolate kind of week 😉 No shame. Sometimes it (chocolate) is absolutely necessary. I feel like winter has been flying by as well! Say whaaat? Southern Hemisphere is gettin’ all crazy. I’m sure you’ll be able to get your thesis done in time! I have all the faith in you! 🙂
I love smoothies and heirloom tomatoes and your Italy recaps. And yesssss summer is going way too fast.