Get your slurp on with this tomato soup with brown butter, kale, and pistachios. Perfect for bowl-licking or grilled cheese-dunking.
You think you know the person you’re married to and then he looks at you with a face of unease and says, “But do you really think brown butter belongs in tomato soup?”
I realize I shouldn’t blame myself for this existential crisis he’s obviously having, but I don’t know, I feel like I’ve failed him somehow on a very fundamental level.
Like, how does he not know that there is no wrong when it comes to brown butter, just right, RIGHT, and MORE RIGHT.
I really wonder about him, I do.
Anyways, while he was hemming and hawing and writing a pros/cons list on our whiteboard (<–not exaggerating), I took matters into my own hands and brown buttered all over his bowl while he wasn’t looking.
It sounds dirty, but really it was just delicious.
Totally good for you tomato and kale soup trashed up with some roasty toasty salted pistachio bits and liquid gold.
Black brown butter ops mission: accomplished.
One of the few times when eating your words actually ends up being a good thing.
The only thing that could make this better is if we dunked something really cheesy into it.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 (28 oz) canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup roasted salted pistachio meat, chopped
- 4 tbsp brown butter
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, thyme and smoked paprika. Saute for 5-6 minutes, or until onion is tender and translucent. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until tomato paste starts to shimmer and look golden in spots, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring every five minutes or so and making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Stir in the kale leaves and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls and top evenly with pistachios and a brown butter drizzle.
Love soup? Check out these:
From Around the Web:
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup from Two Peas & Their Pod
Chipotle Tomato Soup from Fake Food Free
Roasted Tomato Soup Mac and Cheese from Adventures in Cooking
Roasted Yellow Tomato Soup with Green Harissa and Halloumi Croutons from The Bojon Gourmet
Creamy Tomato and Tarragon Soup from Baker By Nature