Tacos for Taco Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excuse the over excitement, but it’s so rare that my life intentions line up in this way.
Usually I’m a day late for all the things. I mean, Taco Tuesday comes once a week so you would think I could get it together more frequently.
Apparently I can’t.
Let’s not worry about that, and just live in this once-in-a-lifetime glorious moment.
And you honestly couldn’t even imagine easier tacos than these!
They’re almost pantry tacos, if you’re the kind of person who considers sweet potatoes a pantry staple.
Clearly, I do.
The sweet potato and black bean combo is pretty much as old as time, so while these are not exactly revolutionary from that perspective, I think of them as a reminder that so much of the time SIMPLE == GOOD.
No need to make a five course meal on a weeknight. Just hand me one of these tacos and I’m good.
Another thing that I think is pretty awesome about these is the way the sweet potatoes are cooked.
They’re par-cooked in the microwave and then sauteed in a skillet so that they get that crispy taco-spice crust.
I’ve tried to cook sweet potatoes in a skillet an infinite number of times prior to this without the par-cooking step and it has always been a fail. They never get cooked through enough before the outsides start to burn.
Usually I end up just roasting the potatoes, but the preheating the oven step can be such a buzzkill, especially in my ancient oven that honestly takes a half hour to come to temperature. Who has that kind of foresight?!
Top with a sprinkling of crumbled cotija, sliced avocados if your’e lucky enough to not be allergic to them (le sigh), and pickled onions if you’ve got a batch always in your fridge (ME ME ME!).
Serve with a little simple salad on the side.
Taco Tuesday, HERE WE COME.
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 12 oz sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced
- 14 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 taco-sized corn tortillas
- 4 oz cotija, crumbled
- avocado and sour cream, to garnish as desired
- To make the taco spice mix, combine the chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To make the tacos, place the sweet potato cubes in a microwave-safe bowl. Top with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and shallots. Saute until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add the spice mix and the beans. Continue to cook, stirring to combine, until everything is heated through.
- Heat the tortillas according to package directions.
- Divide the filling among the tortillas and top with crumbled cotija cheese. Serve with avocado slices and sour cream on the side to garnish.