Earthy wild rice is paired with sweet spiced pecans, tangy feta, caramelized onions, and charred corn to make a flavor-packed main dish salad.
Last night I realized why I go to the gym every day.
If you, like me, thought it was to stay in shape! Be heart healthy! Save every penny so that I can eventually splurge on really good cheese and not a whole new wardrobe!
Well, that’s kind of true.
But mostly it’s to prevent myself from double fisting popsicles and sitting down at my desk with a jar of Biscoff and a spoon to edit photos (because obviously one necessitates the other).
And then wondering why my stomach feels strangely gurgly and my tongue has ice burns on it the next morning.
As if that’s not obvious at all.
Yes, you read right. I am a bored eater.
Not even. An idle eater? That sounds more accurate.
Basically, when I have nothing to do, I want to eat. And even when I do have something to do…I want to be eating instead. You understand, right?
Now that I know this about myself (you really do learn something new every day) I’ll be making a concerted effort to keep this salad around 24/7.
It is filled with so many great flavors and textures, from the chewy wild rice, juicy bits of charred corn, and smoky sweet cumin-spiced pecans that each bite is pretty near perfect.
All I have to say is – cookie butter, you’ve got some serious competition for snack food of.my.life.
A pretty bold assertion, to be sure. But so true.
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 red chile, split lengthwise
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of salt
- 4 oz feta, crumbled
- Heat the oven to 300.
- Cut the kernels off of both ears of corn. Put 1 tbsp of the oil in a big pan and add the corn. Cook over high heat until slightly charred.
- Simmer the wild rice, cinnamon and chile in water according to package directions. Drain, if necessary, and let cool.
- Caramelize the red onion in a pan in the remaining oil until soft. Add the vinegar and paprika. Cook until the vinegar has evaporated. Remove from the heat and let cool. Add to the corn.
- Toss the pecans with the agave, cumin seeds, salt and 1 tbsp water. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for ten minutes or until golden.
- Toss together the rice, corn, onions, feta and pecans.