Next-level rice crispy treats!! Made with double the marshmallows and a secret ingredient these make for the ultimate afterschool (or anytime) snacks.
When life gives you 90+ degree weather, whiny children, and a hankering for something sweet then it’s time to break out the rice crispy treats!
These are a crowd pleasing, family favorite that appeal to literally everyone – kids, grown ups, basically everyone will be lining up to snag a square.
Even Nico enjoyed watching me make them (though he did insist that I sing and dance and generally act a fool for every minute of it).
Thankfully for everyone (but especially our neighbors), these come together super quickly with just a few minutes of stovetop time and a 45 minute cooldown before they’re ready to eat.
The recipe is from Shauna Sever’s Midwest Made cookbook and is made extra special (next-level, if you will) with the addition of white chocolate, extra butter, and extra ‘mallows. About a quarter of the marshmallows are left whole and are cooked with the krispie mix just until the edges start to breakdown, leaving the most satisfying (and gloriously chewy) streaks in the finished bars.
I amped them up even more by substituting vanilla bean paste for the extract called for in the original recipe. The end result is a rich, sweet bar that tastes like childhood in the most glorious of ways.
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter
- 2 10-oz bags mini marshmallows, divided
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz (113 g) high quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ¾ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 8 cups (256 g) crispy rice cereal
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with baking spray, dabbing away any excess with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Once melted, add in one and a half bags of the mini marshmallows and the salt. Stir to combine until the marshmallows are almost completely melted. Add in the white chocolate and stir until smooth. Add in the vanilla and stir again to combine.
- Decrease the heat to low and add in the rice cereal. Stir until completely combined, then add in the remaining marshmallows. Continue to mix just until the marshmallows are starting to melt but are still mostly whole.
- Remove the pan from the heat and quickly pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Use an offset spatula to pat it into an even layer. Set aside to cool for at least 45 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.
Wow, do these ever look good. The extra marshmallow does it for me every. single. time. Then you went and added white chocolate. I need to make these for back to school, which is coming up way too quickly. My son would love them!
YUM! Bookmarked. I haven’t made rice crispy treats in far too many years.
Just came back to say that I made these late last night for Jackson. I ate a small piece and when I came down this morning half the tray was gone. He absolutely loves them!