The.Boy and I have started watching Shark Tank together, which, for those of you who don’t know, is a reality tv show in which aspiring entrepreneurs pitch their business ventures to a panel of potential investors who can then either make an offer or not depending on how promising the enterprise seems like it will be and/or how annoying the contestant is.
Generally what this consists of is The.Boy yelling his commentary at my iPad screen while I complain that no one on the show comes close to Patrick Dempsey’s good looks, so shouldn’t we really be spending our time watching Grey’s Anatomy instead?
Somewhere along the way, I must have gotten the Shark Tank mentality under my skin because yesterday, after slicing into my thumb while chopping a turnip and searing my forearm on the top rack of my oven that was a warm and toasty 350 degrees, instead of thinking “wow, I should be more careful”, I thought “wow, we should create a full-body oven mitt and pitch it to Shark Tank”.
(Because that’s a normal reaction to pain and blood.)
I can’t be the only accident prone person in the kitchen, after all. So I’m thinking a few segments on QVC and we’ll pretty much be set for life.
None of which has anything to do with this fritatta other than that, with its layers upon layers of crispy creamy roasted potato slices and toasty feta cheese topping, it is just the thing you want to have waiting for you in your fridge when both of your upper extremities are throbbing.
Which, hopefully, you wouldn’t know anything about buuuuuuuutttttt, if by some chance you do…I may know a girl in the full-body-oven-mitt business in the near future. Stay tuned.
One year ago…Bananas Foster Bread
Two years ago…Avocado Pistachio Creme Brulee, Roast Salmon with Sweet Chipotle Glaze and Hominy Puree
Three years ago…Eggplant and Tofu in Spicy Garlic Sauce
Four years ago…Penne with Artichokes, Black Olives and Peas
Potato Fritatta with Feta and Scallions
Serves 4-6, adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 3/4 lb yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more for potatoes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 bunch (3-4) scallions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- Preheat the oven to 400. Coat a baking pan or sheet with 2 tbsp olive oil. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/4-1/2-inch slices. Halve them so that they’re half circles. Place in prepared pan and then season generously with salt and black pepper. Roast 30 minutes or until mostly cooked, tossing once halfway through.
- Arrange the roasted potatoes in a cast-iron skillet or in the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Place the brown undersides of the potatoes facing up. Sprinkle the feta and scallions over the potatoes. In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, cream, 1/2 tsp salt, and black pepper. Pour over the potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until just set. Remove the foil and cook for another 10-15 minutes, until puffed at the edges and set in the center.