Roasted Cajun-spiced sweet potatoes are tossed with cornmeal crusted okra, sweet crunchy bell peppers, and juicy corn in this spicy sweet potato salad that makes for a perfect summer side or main meal.
I know it’s generally a bad idea to talk politics over dinner.
But in the race for Potato Salad Champion of the World?
I’m throwing my support to the almighty sweet potato.
All the way.
White potatoes have had their (mayo-soaked) moments of glory, but, to be blunt – I’m over it.
Creamy, heavy, gloppy is out.
Spicy crispy crunchy sweet is IN.
Perfect timing for sweet potatoes to step out from behind their reputation of being a brown-sugar-and-marshmallow one trick pony and into the Cajun-spiced sunlight.
Fresh flavors abound in this salad, as spicy roasted sweet potatoes are tossed with crispy cornmeal-crusted okra, juicy bites of corn kernels, crunchy bell pepper bites, and cheddar cheese cubes that have a tendency to melt into creamy hot messes (the best kind) when served warm.
Suffice it to say, it’s pretty much everything traditional potato salad is not. Namely tasty, delicious, and non-atherogenic.
So the next time that polling center comes around?
We’re going to vote with our gut. And our taste buds.
Sweet Potato For President.
- 3 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 8 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 lb okra, stems removed and cut into ½-inch slices
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 7 ears corn
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- Heat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potato cubes, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, cayenne pepper, sweet paprika, oregano, and thyme. Arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the okra to the pot and saute for 10-12 minutes or until bright green, stirring frequently. Season generously with salt and stir in the cornmeal and remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute for 5-10 minutes or until crisp. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl toss together the roasted sweet potatoes, cornmeal-crusted okra, bell peppers, kernels from the corn, and cheddar cheese cubes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
For more summery sweet potato recipes, check out these:
From Around the Web:
Healthy Grilled Sweet Potato Nachos from Pinch of Yum
Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers from Foodie with Family
Spicy Sweet Potato Hummus from The Novice Chef Blog
Sweet Potato and Millet Falafel from Oh My Veggies
Sweet Potato Salad with Charred Corn and Miso from 10th Kitchen