Let’s get one thing straight.
If anyone and I mean anyone (law enforcing individuals or otherwise) comes knocking at your door asking about the six storage units that I may or may not have rented under six different aliases…you know nothing.
I know, I know…you have a thing for men in uniform and perjury isn’t really your thing.
But seriously? For the love of pumpkin, keep it in your pants, okay!?
Oh dear. I’ve said too much.
Hmmm? Ummm NO I absolutely did NOT steal abduct law abidingly purchase every single can of pumpkin in the tri-state area thus aiding and abetting Miss Irene in the pumpkin shortage of 2011. And, well. Maybe some from New England, too.
Is it warm in here? Can we maybe turn the A/C up?
And, uh. I’ll be back in a minute. I need to make a call.
To my, um. Lawyer.
Maybe we can strike a deal.
You won’t sell me out to any government officials. And in exchange I’ll provide you with a pumpkin and/or winter squash recipe every week for the next 12 weeks, so help me god.
Pinky swear? With cream cheese frosting on top?
YES people, it’s totally that time of year again! For those of you who are new to my blog, every year while other bloggers are writing about their 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies…I write about MY 12 Weeks of Winter Squash! Because everyone wants to turn orange come December 25th, right?
And to kick it off, we have these honey pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting. Although, who are we fooling? These are cupcakes parading around as muffins just so that we can eat them for breakfast without having to feel even a speckle of guilt. Did I also mention that they are 100% whole wheat without even tasting like they have any whole wheat flour in them at all? True story.
Don’t believe me (not that I blame you after that little charade I pulled up there)…ask Cate, who was the lucky recipient of these “muffins”. I know…she totally calls them cupcakes in her post. But she’s not really into eating sweets for breakfasts so she has no need to lie to herself.
Honey Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 12, adapted from Whole Foods
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a second large bowl, combine sugar, oil, honey, milk, pumpkin, egg, and vanilla. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins, filling 3/4 full. Bake until cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from pan to set aside and cool completely.
- When cool, top with cream cheese frosting.