This roasted berry and brie kale salad takes roasted strawberries and blueberries and tosses them with kale, brie, and a maple balsamic vinaigrette to make a main dish salad you can’t help but look forward to eating.
I can’t even deal right now.
Partly because I had a few too many glasses of wine last night (that would be TWO glasses. Total. I’m old.) and went to bed at 10 with an instant hangover (#thisis28) and partly because THIS SALAD.
Maple balsamic vinaigrette.
And did I mention the BRIE?!?!?!
I’m getting hangry just thinking about it.
I ate this for lunch all last week and it was pretty much the only thing that got me through each (crazy! experiment-filled! didn’t-sit-down-once!) day. In fact, I might have even cried on Friday when I ate the last bowl of it because WHAT DID I HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO IN LIFE?!
And if you say “waking up at 4AM on Saturday to run 13.1 miles”….no, just no.
My point being, I’ve made the executive decision that I obviously need to eat this every single day until berry season is over. For posterity and happiness and health and all that.
You probably do too. (Just a guess.)
The inspiration for this came from this month’s Recipe Redux challenge, which was to get back to basics and make some DIY kitchen essentials – basically something that you used to buy, but now make from scratch.
For me…that is salad dressing. Growing up and even after I went to college, my fridge was stocked with at least five different store bought salad dressings at all time. I mean, you have to have a dressing for every major mood/life occasion, right? That just makes sense.
BUUUUUTTTT at some point I realized just how easy it is to make dressing at home! And how much tastier. You basically just pour everything into a bowl, whisk, and toss with your salad. It’s that easy.
And, as with most things, once you go homemade you just can’t go back. All of a sudden you’ll realize you actually can taste all of the artificial ingredients and preservatives in those weirdly shelf stable concoctions…and they do not taste good.
Homemade for life. (But especially with a side of brie.)
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 oz brie, cut into small pieces
- 5 oz baby kale
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the berries, olive oil, and sugar. Spread on a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast for 10 minutes, or until slightly softened. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to package directions. Run under cold water when finished and drain well.
- In a large serving bowl, toss together the kale, quinoa, roasted fruit, and brie.
- To make the salad dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, maple and syrup, and mustard until well combined. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Toss with the salad just before serving.
Spring is for salads!
From Around the Web:
Fried Halloumi Cheese and Asparagus Salad from The Mediterranean Dish
Grilled Sweet Potato Salad with Curry Almond Butter Vinaigrette from Food Faith Fitness
Summer Salad with Strawberry Ricotta Toast from Foxes Love Lemons
Pad Thai Salad from Running To The Kitchen
Spinach Strawberry Salad with Coconut Quinoa and Honey Lemon Dressing from Stew Or A Story