Some of us impulse buy shoes.
Some of us impulse buy garlic scapes.
(And dried beans.)
DON’T JUDGE ME.
But seriously, you don’t even want to see the state of my refrigerator on grocery delivery day.
So what do you do with a fridge full of mismatched items, including the above PLUS two blocks of cheese and three packages of flour tortillas.
Make quesadillas, obviously!!!
That’s my solution to all of my clean-out-the-fridge problems, namely because they’re one of Remy’s three food groups and I can hide pretty much anything under copious handfuls of cheese. It’s a gift.
These quesadillas are stuffed with a super zingy garlic scape pesto and cheese. So much cheese!!
Bonus that the pesto recipe makes way more than you need so you can get a second (or third) meal out of it. I recommend tossing it with pasta, but adding it into scrambled eggs or schmearing it on a pizza crust are also excellent options.
It’s served alongside a super simple mango salad that’s at once sweet, savory, and spicy (so basically all of my favorite flavors in one place). The salad actually gets better the longer it sits so make it ahead of time and don’t feel bad about it.
- ½ cup (50 g) garlic scapes
- 2 lemons
- 1 large garlic clove
- 5 oz arugula
- ⅓ cup pecorino cheese
- 3 tbsp almonds
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- 8 oz Monterey jack cheese, grated
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 tbsp garlic scape pesto
- 2 large mangoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- pinch of red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- To make the pesto, combine the garlic scapes and juice of one lemon in the bowl of a food processor. Add in the garlic, arugula, pecorino, almonds, red pepper flakes, ¼ tsp salt, and black pepper to taste. Pulse until everything is finely chopped, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- With the food processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil until the mixture forms a sauce and everything is well blended. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and lemon juice.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. While the pan is heating, toss the two cheeses together in a large bowl. Spread half of the tortillas with 2 tbsp each of the garlic scape pesto. Top with the cheese mix and then with a second tortilla.
- Place the quesadillas on the heat and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until the tortilla is crisp and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- In a large bowl, toss together the mangoes, red onion, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, and lime juice. Add a tbsp of sugar and toss again. Taste and add more sugar as needed depending on how sweet your mangoes are.