If you like white chocolate and buttered popcorn, then you will love these white chocolate buttered popcorn cookies, which are definitely greater than the sum of their parts!
I’m kind of a put-weirdo-things-in-cookies kind of gal and the.boy is really a chocolate-chips-only-or-bust kind of guy.
As you can see from the title of this post, I wear the pants and make the cookies in this relationship. And don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
So when the.boy asked me to bake cookies for his last day of work before switching over to a new job this week, I took it upon myself to make him squirm with cookie anxiety as much as possible during the process. It’s my wife-to-be duty, after all.
So while he paced around our apartment, wringing his hands and sweating bullets (partly because I wouldn’t let him turn the air conditioning on), I put popcorn into cookie batter and then baked it into chewy, crunchy, buttery cookie heaven.
It was a good life choice.
In the end, I sent the.boy off to work with a big “I told you so” as well as a batch of plain Jane (but still pretty amazing) chocolate chip cookies to go along with these in case anyone in his office was too afraid to expand their culinary horizons.
He came home with two empty cookie tins. So I believe my job here is done.
I made these with some pretty super popcorn that I just discovered called Tiny But Mighty Popcorn. Made from an heirloom variety of corn, the kernels are smaller and therefore more intensely flavored than other brands, plus the outer hull disintegrates while it’s popped which means you won’t be picking popcorn pieces out of your teeth for hours after eating it. The popcorn comes in three flavors – Sea Salt, Kettle Corn, and Butter – but you can also purchase the hulls and pop them yourself!
Based out of Iowa, Tiny But Mighty Popcorn can be found in many local supermarkets throughout the midwest, as well as Whole Foods Markets throughout the country. They are definitely worth picking up for some summertime snacking and year-round cookie baking!
Disclosure: While I received this popcorn for free, I was not compensated for this post and my thoughts and opinions, as always, are my own.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 12 oz white chocolate chips
- 4 cups buttered popcorn
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes on medium speed.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Add it to the batter and mix until just combined. Pour the white chocolate and popcorn into the bowl of the mixer and mix until combined.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, scoop tablespoon-sized mounds 2 inches apart. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are light brown. Let sit for 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all of the batter is used up.
For more weekend worthy cookie recipes, check out these:
From Around the Web:
Oreo Overload Cookie Sandwiches from Keep It Sweet
Stuffed Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from Love & Olive Oil
Maple Glazed Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures
Triple Chocolate Sprinkle Birthday Cookies from Sweetapolita